If recent events have shown us anything, it is that in order to thrive, we must adapt and do it quickly. The changes that we have seen have been unprecedented – never in peace time have schools and workplaces been so firmly closed, all leisure pursuits suspended and even limitations placed on the frequency with which we could leave our homes.
Every element of life has been turned upside and none moreso than our work lives. Businesses have realised than productivity isn’t dependent on being in a set office and that flexibility doesn’t cause as many problems as previously feared. As a result of this, the likelihood is that even when normality resumes, more people will work from home at least part of the week. Not only will this benefit the workforce in promoting a better work-life balance with greater flexibility, it will also allow companies to have smaller workplaces resulting in lower costs. There will be additional benefits too, such as the improvement in air quality with reduced pollution thanks to less commuting traffic.
So if your new normal will allow you to continue working from home, then you need to ensure you have the right set up to facilitate a conducive working environment. Here are our recommendations for how to get your home office just right…
The right computer
It all starts with your machine. This is, after all, what will allow you to get your work done, everything else is merely ancillary. There are several to choose from and if you aren’t a total tech-lover, you might not know where to start. One of the key questions you need to ask yourself is “how portable do you want your computer to be?”. If the answer is anywhere around the “extremely” mark, then you will want to consider a laptop. If it’s more “not very”, then a desktop is what you’re after.
The key benefit of a laptop is the ability to move it to wherever you need it. Whether that be within your home, taking it to the office or even going to meetings, a laptop is the best solution for this.
As great as laptops are for portability, there are compromises to be made when choosing one. Due to the size constraints of both the hardware and the fans required to cool high powered kit, they are far less likely to be able to process the demands placed on them, workwise. That’s where desktops are far superior. At Expertec, we recommend two desktop brands in particular – Dell OptiPlex and HP.
About Dell OptiPlex computers
There are several benefits to this type of machine, including:
- Stability – they are well-known to have a long lifecycle with standard configurations to aide with this. Regular updates are issued with plenty of warning if you wish to implement them too
- Durability – Dell has extremely strict supplier relationships as well as quality assurances meaning their products are well built. They also collect a huge amount of data and use it to better improve their manufacturing processes
- Usability – intuitive design features mean you will have no trouble using a Dell machine and it is even designed to ensure it is accessible for any maintenance work that is required
- Security – they understand the intricacies of individual requirements and make sure that the OptiPlex products can be tailored to meet your individual ones
Our favourite Dell OptiPlex is the Dell OptiPlex MT with i3 processor, 8GB RAM and 500GB hard drive.
But we have a huge range available so give us a call on 0800 2600 688 to see which one is best for you.
About HP computers
Hewlett Packard computers are well-known for a reason so make sure these form a good chunk of your research when buying your next machine. They feature:
- Performance power – not only will they keep you connected, they will enable you to complete all the work functions you need them to in a timely and efficient manner and it’s all delivered a competitive price.
- Stylish design – they have a very modern look and feel meaning they will look great in your home office for years to come.
- Security – tight security protects not just your work, but also your home network, from breaches by hackers and other rogue attacks. Staying safe online will give you great peace of mind.
All the computers mentioned above are in our ‘Refurbished Desktop’ range which offers incredible value for money. They are all tested and serviced by our expert technicians and come with a 1-year manufacturer’s warranty. If you want anymore guidance on what is right for you, either read our blog, ‘Choosing the right tech for you’ or get in touch with us.
There are other considerations too when setting up your home office such as having ergonomic accessories (desk chair, keyboard, mouse etc) to ensure you don’t end up with any aches and pains. If possible, also try to ensure you have a dedicated work area that is quiet and free from distractions if at all possible and it’ll help you be more productive.
For all your tech needs, get in touch with us at Expertec and we’ll help you get set up in no time.