After the success of the World War Z novel and film, it was inevitable that a video game adaptation would be next. The game uses both the film and book as inspiration. There are four episodes, set in different parts of the world and star a different unique group of four survivors. The base game takes players to Jerusalem, Moscow, New York, and Tokyo, and each location has three levels that tell the story of how these survivors came together.
Like the movie, the game is flooded with zombies. For this to happen, Saber had to purposively build a new engine. The Swarm Engine is purposefully built to handle up to 500 zombies on the screen at one time – and these zombies don’t mess around! A high volume will pile up to clear vertical obstacles, charge at you with wild abandon and often form a thick ring of death around you.
With a four-player cooperative experience, World War Z is built around team play! Your team won’t last very long if you don’t stick together. Make sure you’re aware of who your enemies are, as each special enemy type requires coordination from everyone:
- Lurkers pin players to the ground
- Bulls charge into the group and deal massive damage
- Screamers can attract more enemies to the location
- Hazmats drop stink bombs that drain health
These should take priority over the dozens of regular zombies. If your team can handle a zombie swarm with ease, you can test your resilience with 5 difficulty levels. Each time you up the difficulty friendly fire becomes more damaging, so try not to get in front of your teammates.
World War Z caters to many different playstyles, with 5 character classes:
- Gunslinger is your classic assault class, armed with an automatic rifle and grenades
- Fixer is a support role that can drop supply crates with explosive damage and boost the damage rating of the squad
- Medic is the healing class, but it can also give boosts to the squad’s resilience
- Hellraiser is a demolitionist armed with explosives
- Exterminator is all about the crowd control, armed with a shotgun and molotov cocktail
You can earn in-game currency by performing well in missions, which in turn lets you customize your experience for each of the classes. You can also unlock new versions of each weapon, as you progress.
World War Z supports eight-player competitive multiplayer in five different modes. But, don’t be surprised to see a zombie horde descend on the position in the middle of a match. The battles then become a juggling match of strategic priorities.
Do you team up with your competitors to vanquish the invading horde, or do you keep your sights trained on your human enemy?
Gaming PC Specification
Official Recommended Requirements:
- CPU: Intel Core i7-3970 @ 3.50GHz
- RAM: 16 GB
- OS: 64 bit Windows 10, DX11
- Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 960 / Radeon R9 280
- Storage: 20 GB